25 April 2012

Temple Marriage, Baby, DEGREE!!!

Saturday morning of April 14th, 2012 was both a dream come true and a nightmare. The last of my assignments were turned in, all of my credits approved, college life was at its end. It could've, would've, SHOULD'VE been a perfect celebration...but my world was turned upside down as I suffered the worst "morning sickness" I've ever experienced. It hit at 5a.m., in between trying to curl my hair & put on makeup, when dropping Mahie off at my Parents and when waiting for the commencement to begin and end. I didn't want to get out of bed at all that morning. James had to keep warning me, "Remember you need time to do your hair" lol. You can't tell by any of the pictures, but I was so nauseous that I wanted to just go home. It felt like time was going by so slowly and it did, because we started almost an hour late. I was dizzy, hungry and had the worst tension headache. All I really wished for, was to roll up my gown, use it as a pillow and take a quick nap on the floor where all the graduates waited. Then we started to march out, and for a couple minutes I felt fine because a girl tripped and fell and I didn't want to fall either, haha.
Can you spot my shaka??
Commencement was loooooong. I listened to only one talk, by Sis. Elaine S. Dalton, YW President. I'm glad I did, she was a very wonderful and inspirational speaker and made me forget about being sick for a bit, as I reflected on her counsel:

1. Remember who you are
 "You must never be like the world. You have been uniquely prepared to be unique. You are sons and daughters of God, and because of that knowledge, your response will not be the same as the world's response to any situation. You not only know who you are, but whose you are. That knowledge alone is now, and will continue to be, reflected in all your actions, reactions and associations."

2. Work hard
 "It is the secret of all great accomplishments. It is to learn to, and love to, work hard. It is to find satisfaction in going the distance and in completing a task and to love the labor of it all."

3. Train for adversity
 "Never, never, never give up."

4. Dream big
 "Don't lose sight of your dreams and when you dream — dream big. And remember attitude is everything. So, keep a positive outlook. Look for the silver lining. Don't get discouraged. Don't focus all your energy on negative situations — or people for that matter. Keep going. Put one foot in front of the other."

5. Winners do not always finish first
Sister Dalton shared a story of a group of youth who trained for and entered the Special Olympics. At the sound of the starter, one of the participants fell and began to cry. All of the other participants looked back and saw what was happening, turned around and helped the boy up. They linked arms and walked together to the finish line. "What matters in life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing course."

 "You are not ordinary. You are extraordinary and you have been reserved to be here on the earth when the challenges and also the opportunities are the greatest. ...

"Today, I see kings and queens in the audience of this commencement gathering. You will be blessed by the King of kings as you remember who you are and live what you know, as you continue to work hard and train for adversity, as you never give up, as you dream big and as you remember that winners do not always finish first.

"Now, run into your marathon of faith and life. Don't get discouraged by the hills, but see the opportunity in adversity. Go with a sure foot and a sure knowledge that you are never alone."
It was a beautiful morning. I'm grateful for my parents, who've been there near and far as I persevered as a college student. My siblings for keeping me open-minded, patient and simply doing things for me when I ask. (And I ask a lot). And my incredibly hot husband, for always encouraging me that I can do anything, that I am smart, that I am special and that he loves me no matter what. I am grateful to have had a wonderful support system that got me to my educational accomplishment. I completed a Bachelor of Arts Degree in ICS: Communications with a minor in Political Science. My internship at PCC's Marketing Department hired me, so I work all day everyday with the best boss ever, Larie Manutai. I felt very loved by Sis. Dalton's counsel, by the numerous family and friends who congratulated me online & via text message (lol), and who pulled me here and there throughout the crowd to lei me. I know I missed a ton of friends because I left a little early due to feeling even more sick with the heaviness of the leis, the hot sun and wanting to throw up, but everyone made it a special day for me. 

I'm especially grateful to stand as an example for my children, that if we follow the Lord's and our Church Leader's counsel, we will truly find happiness in discovering hidden strengths and talents that we can stand back and smile upon.  
"A woman with a mother heart has a testimony of the restored gospel, and she teaches the principles of the gospel without equivocation. She is keeping sacred covenants made in holy temples. Her talents and skills are shared unselfishly. She gains as much education as her circumstances will allow, improving her mind and spirit with the desire to teach what she learns to the generations who follow her."--Julie B. Beck, "A 'Mother Heart,' " Ensign, May 2004, 75

Temple Marriage [CHECK]
Baby(ies) [CHECK]
Education [CHECK]
........and many more things to come! Why stop here?? 


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating and on the baby on the way sis. So awesome, sorry you were feeling sick on your grad day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post. And yes you are always so motivational and the best spiritual example to me. I got graduate *check full-time job *check. now I gotta work on the marriage/baby part lol. Eh who cares if u were feeling sick, at leads u look hott in your pictures lol. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats.. what a great accomplishment... you look great

    ReplyDelete